There may be times when you give an assessment, but don't want to include it in the calculation of the final grade. This process is different for the points gradebook and the standards gradebook. Continue reading for more information!
❗Note - excluded assessments are not included on report cards.
Excluding from the Points Gradebook
There are two options for excluding an assessment from the points gradebook:
- Option 1: From the assessment settings.
- Option 2: From the gradebook.
Option 1: From the Assessment Settings
- When assigning the assessment, you are given an option to not include the score in the final grade. Uncheck the box for "Include Score in Gradebook"
- This will automatically assign a status of Excluded to each student the assessment is assigned to.
- This process is slightly different for + (plus) assessments. When you create the + assessment, toggle the "Include Score in Final Grade" option off.
💡 Tip from the Otus Team: This will NOT hide the assessment from viewing in the gradebook. Students and parents will still see the assessment score, but it will not be calculated into the student's final grade.
Option 2: From the Gradebook
You can exclude a student's score from the total points while in the points gradebook.
- Step 1: Select the checkbox next to the students you wish to exclude.
- Step 2: Double click the status of the first student you checked.
- Step 3: Choose Excluded.
💡 Tip from the Otus Team: you can exclude all students by selecting the checkbox next to First Name at the top-left corner of the gradebook, then following the same steps as above.
Excluding from the Standards Gradebook
When assigning a standards-based assessment, there isn't an "Include Score in Final Grade" option. Instead, when you create the assessment, do not attach standards to the assessment. Here's how it works:
- The grades in the Standards Gradebook are determined by the student attempts made on a particular standard. If the assessment isn't linked to any standards, its results will not count as attempts, therefore, will not factor into the student's performance in the standards gradebook.
- When you assign an assessment that doesn't have any standards attached, you will see the message below; that's ok! You can still assign the assessment without standards; this message is just reminding you that you don't have any standards attached.
- If an assessment is excluded from the gradebook, will it appear on report cards? No; excluded scores are not included on report cards.
- If an assessment is excluded from the gradebook, can I still view that assessment data in assessment analytics? Yes; you will still be able to view the assessment data in assessment analytics.