What is a Navigate Item?
Navigate items are pre-built questions that Otus users can incorporate into their Advanced Assessments. These questions are linked to Common Core standards, as well as many other searchable criteria. Because the items have been professionally researched, built, and tested with valid and reliable results, they are unable to be edited by the Otus user. The Navigate Items are only available in Advanced Assessments.
Access to the Navigate Item Bank is based on district settings. For more information about what Item Banks you have access to, please speak with your main Otus contact or reach out to the Otus Support Team via the chat tool.
Create Your Advanced Assessment
- Step 1: Select Assessments from your side navigation.
- Step 2: Select the Create Assessment button.
- Step 3: Choose Advanced in the Create Assessment pop-up.
- Step 4: Enter your Assessment Name, Type, and Grading Scale.
- Step 5: Now you can click Next to begin selecting or creating your items.
Accessing the Navigate Item Bank
- Step 1: Click on the dropdown that says My Items.
- Step 2: Select Navigate.
Search for Navigate Items
Option 1: Checkbox Filters
Step 1: Select the criteria you wish to search for.
- Each criteria you "check" should populate in the "tags" section (see image below). This particular example shows searching for a Subject of ELA, a Depth of Knowledge of 1. Recall, and a Cognitive Demand of Applying. These are listed in the tags section as LANG, dok: 1, and cognitive demand: Applying
Step 2: Click Search
- The items that populate in the list below will include all of the criteria you checked.
Option 2: Search by Standard
- Select Search by Standard
- Navigate through the menu to choose the standard you wish to find questions for
- Click the desired standard (you do not have to click search). Once the standard is selected it will automatically begin the search.
- The items that populate in the list are attached to the standard you searched for. Please note that those questions will also likely be attached to additional standards other than the one you searched for.
*Note - the standard appears in the search field as a tag noted with a string of numbers and letters, rather than the name of the standard itself*
Option 3: Search by Content
- You can search by titles, keywords, and question types. See image below.
- 1: Search by title here. Example: "E605214"
- 2: Search by keyword here. Example: "weather"
- 3: Click the dropdown arrow to select a question/feature type.
- 4: Select "Published" (not required).
Looking for Rubrics for your Navigate Essays?
Navigate includes Rubrics for all Extended Text (Essay with rich text) items. All other items including what we classify as short text (single line answers) do not include a rubric.
For the extended text, the Rubrics can be found in by using the same item reference with “_rubric” added on the end.
For example, the item you provided can be found by searching the ref Reference field labeled with a "1" above for item with reference number Navigate--576770
or here https://author.learnosity.com/org/561/v1/item/editornew/?ref=Navigate--576770
The rubric can be found using the same reference number, with _rubric added to it. "Navigate--576770_rurbric" or here
*What Are My Next Steps?*
Once you have completed the process of adding and creating your assessment, it will be time to assign it! Click below to learn how to assign an assessment to your students/classes!