This article will show you how to generate a report card that includes grades from the standards gradebook. Report cards can only be generated in admin or main admin accounts. You can include both points and standards gradebook data on a report card, but this article will focus on the standards gradebook.
❗ Looking specifically for report card troubleshooting tips? You can find that section at the bottom of this article.
Example Standards Gradebook Report Card
- The student name appears in the upper-left corner in large text on the first page. It will appear in the header of each subsequent page as well.
- The name of the class is listed, along with the last name of the teacher (co-teachers are not listed on report cards).
- Classes are listed in alpha-numeric order.
- Assessment details are not included on standards gradebook report cards.
- Standards are listed in alpha-numeric order based on the name of the standard (not the description of the standard).
In this article you will find the following
- Where to Start
- Section 1: Template Information
- Section 2: Student Population and Date Range
- Section 3: Items to Include
- Exporting and Printing
- Common Troubleshooting Tips
Where to Start
Navigate to the Analytics module, select Reports at the bottom of the list, then choose Report Card.
Section 1: Template Information
- Title - the title also appears centered in the header of each page.
- Language - can choose between English and Spanish.
- School Logo - should be no larger than 25mb.
Section 2: Student Population and Date Range
- Site (school) - this will only appear on the first page.
- Date range - this will also appear in the top-right corner of the header on each page.
- Teachers, Groups, Grade Levels, Students.
- Sometimes there won't be any students that populate for the report card; it most often leads back to these settings being too specific. We recommend leaving these fields set to All when possible. For more information, check out the Common Troubleshooting Tips section below!
❗ Special Note: If the report card doesn't contain expected grades, it could be because the assessment date is not within the date range selected. See the Common Troubleshooting Steps section below for more information.
Section 3: Items to Include
➡️ Choose the Gradebook and Standards
This article is specifically for the standards gradebook, but you can choose to include both the points and standards gradebook. For more information on running report cards for the points gradebook, check out this article.
When choosing the standards gradebook, you are required to choose choose the Mastery Setting, Grading Scale, and Standards to use.
❗ Not seeing expected grades? If the report card doesn't contain expected grades, it could be because certain assessments did not use the grading scale or standards selected. See the Common Troubleshooting Tips below for more details.
❗ Standards Gradebook Override Information: If your district has enabled the option for teachers to manually adjust the final calculation of a student's grade in the standards gradebook, that override will appear on the report card. It will not have any indication of being an overridden score. For more information, please see the Standards Gradebook Override article.
➡️ Optional Items
Attendance, Notes, & Grading Scale Key
Exporting and Printing the Report Cards
After selecting the desired criteria, click Export in the bottom right corner.
- A dialogue box will appear showing the amount and progression of the report card generation.
➡️ Does the number of report cards not seem correct? Check out the first tip in the Common Troubleshooting Tips section at the end of this article.
- Once the report cards are complete, a file download will appear. Click on the file to open the report cards.
➡️ Can't find the file? Check your downloads folder.
💡 Tip from the Otus Team: we highly recommend saving the report card file with a unique name. Saving it with a unique name will allow you to reference the report in the future.
➡️ Why are there blank pages?
- If the student's report card has an odd number of pages, there will be a blank page that follows. Blank pages are there to allow for double-sided printing. This is so two student's report cards don't appear back to back on the same piece of paper if double-sided printing is desired.
- If a student's report card is an even number of pages, there will not be a blank page following it.
- Even if you don't need to print double sided, we recommend using that setting anyway; this ensures you won't be printing "blank" pages.
❗ Did you receive an error while generating the report cards? See the Common Troubleshooting Tips below for more information.
Common Troubleshooting Tips
❗ Students are not appearing in the dropdown menu, or too few report cards were generated (missing students)❗
✅ Solution: Remove the filters - return them to the All option. This may require that you refresh the page and start again.
❗ Standards are missing from the report card❗
There are several reasons for why standards may not appear on the report cards:
➡️ Reason #1 (most common) - Assessments may not be included within the date range selected.
✅ Solutions: Two options are explained using this example:
Assessment date: 10/28/20
Report Card Date Range: 8/16/20 - 10/28/20
💡 Tips from the Otus Team:
➡️ Reason #2 - Assessments may not have the correct standards linked.
✅ Solution: Check the standards that are linked on the assessments the teachers assigned. This is something you can see from within your own admin account, or you can reach out to the teachers.. If using standards tags, you should also check the tag itself to make sure the standard you are looking for is included in that tag.
➡️ Reason #3 - Assessments did not use the correct grading scale.
✅ Solution: Check the grading scale of the assessments the teachers assigned. This is something you can see from within your own admin account, or you can reach out to the teachers.
❗ Classes are missing from the report card❗
✅ Solution: See the reasons for the "standards are missing from the report card" section above - addressing those issues inherently addresses why a class wouldn't be appearing as well.
❗ Teacher notes are missing from the report card❗
There are a few reasons why notes may be missing:
➡️ Reason #1 - the note does not have the "Include in Report Card" box checked.
✅ Solution: Contact the teacher and have them edit the note and check the box.
➡️ Reason 2 - the note has a date stamp that does not occur in between the start and end date of the selected date range of the report cards.
✅ Solution: Contact the teacher and have them edit the note and change the date.
➡️ Reason #3 - the Notes option is not checked on the report card criteria.
✅ Solution: Check the Notes option when generating the report card.
❗ Error Message Appears when Generating Report Cards❗
✅ Solution: Run the report cards in smaller batches.