Now that you've started to build an advanced assessment, you may want to add a Hotspot question.
➡️ Need help getting started with Advanced Assessment first? Click here
The Hotspot question type allows you to upload an image and outline specific regions (hotspots) in that image. Students will be able to select the targeted regions.
Build the Question
If you are creating a new item, select the + Create button on the assessment builder, title the item, then select the Add New plus sign to add a question.
If you are adding to an existing item, simply select the Add New plus sign (as shown above) to add a question to the item.
Next, select the Highlight and Drawing category from the options on the left, then select Hotspot.
Step 1: Compose Question
- Enter the question into the Compose question area. Below you will see the Edit option. Here is where you will upload the image of your choice.
Step 2: Add Answer Content
The uploaded image is then seen in the Areas section. Here, the correct answer(s) are selected for the student by outlining the regions you wish. You can create as many outlines as needed. To remove an existing area, switch from Draw to Delete mode and click on the area once. You can also use Undo and Redo options in the toolbar above the image.
In the Attributes section, you can set color and opacity for the following:
- Fill color
- Selected fill color
- Selected outline color
- Focus outline color
Set the Scoring
Follow these steps to set up scoring and correct response:
- Insert value in the Point(s) box for this question. The default value is 1.
- Select the region that is correct for students to choose.
- If there is more than one correct response, select the Multiple Responses checkbox, and select the additional hotspot areas.
- Hotspot is scored only by Exact Match, so no need to adjust that section.
It's highly recommended to Preview the question before adding it to the assessment. This displays the question as the students will see it and also verifies that the answers and scoring work as expected.
Step 1: Select the Preview button to go into Preview mode
Step 2: Answer the question with the correct answers, including alternates.
- (Optional) Show Answers: Checking this box will display the correct answers below
Step 3: Verify that the auto-score correctly calculates the point value (in this example, 1/1)
Other Scoring Options:
- Unscored/Practice usage: removes all scoring from the item.
- Check answer button & Check answer attempts: find more information here!
- Penalty points: use this option if you want students to lose points for giving incorrect answers.
- Scoring type: Leave as Exact Match.
- Minimum score if attempted: student will receive points as long as the question has been attempted (if the question is left blank or is unanswered, the student will not earn those points).
Copyright © Learnosity Ltd. 2006-2020