The Mailbox feature allows teachers to send texts or emails to students and parents. It also allows parents to send message to teachers. This article will show how the Mailbox works for a teacher, but click HERE to see how parents use the Mailbox!
Drafting and Sending Messages
- Messages can be sent to a single student/parent, multiple students/parents, or all students/parents at once from all of your classes.
- Messages can be sent as either a text message or email.
- Messages can be sent immediately, or scheduled to be sent at a later date/time.
- Emails sent from the Mailbox in Otus will go to the student/parent's active email address linked to their Otus account. They do not receive the message directly within Otus, rather, it is sent to their email inbox. The email will come from the address email@example.com with a subject that reads "You have received an Otus Mailbox message". It might be helpful to have parents add firstname.lastname@example.org to their email contacts to avoid messages being sent to junk or spam.
- When a message is sent from the Otus Mailbox, recipients are unable to see who else the message was sent to.
- Parents and students can respond to emails; the response will go directly to the teacher's email inbox. The responses will be contained in the same email thread.
- Text messages only send one way from the phone number (717-200-4638), cannot include pictures, and are sent 140 characters at a time. Note - have students and parents add the number to their phonebook so they know these messages are from Otus.
- Scheduled messages can be edited for both content, change in the time to be sent, and change in recipients to be sent to.
- Scheduled messages can also be deleted.
- You can view the contents and recipients of your sent messages.