Now that you've started to build an advanced assessment, you may want to add a Label Image with Text question.
➡️ Need help getting started with Advanced Assessments? Click here
In Label Image with Text, students type a short response into fields that are positioned at predetermined points on an image.
Build the Question
After creating the item, select Label Image with text from the library, located in the Fill in the Blanks (Cloze) section (or type into Search to find any question type):
Step 1: Compose Question
- Compose Question: Type question prompt into this field (for an overview of the toolbar features including adjusting formatting, and adding multimedia, files, and links, Click here)
- Image Preview: Select Edit to upload an image as the label template
- (Optional) Text on Hover: Upon hovering the mouse pointer over the image, text in this box will appear. Image alternative text: for students with accessibility needs, this field can be used to describe the content of the image in some detail.
- Response positions: Click and drag the numbered response fields into their appropriate positions. (Optional) Add or Remove responses: Click the Add button to add more responses. Click the X button to remove a response.
Step 2: Set correct answer(s)
- Point value: Enter the full point value for getting this answer correct (see More options section below)
- Answer fields: Type correct answers into fields. By default, answers will need to be exact (but are not case-sensitive, and will ignore blank spaces before or after responses) to be auto-graded properly. Misspelled or alternate words will not be awarded credit (see More options section below).
- (Optional) Alternate answers: click the Add ( + ) button to add alternate answers
- (Optional) Match all possible responses: used in conjunction with Alternate answers (see More options section below).
It's highly recommended to Preview the question before adding it to the assessment. This displays the question as the students will see it and also verifies that the answers and scoring work as expected.
Step 1: Select the Preview button to go into Preview mode
Step 2: Answer the question with the correct answers, including alternates.
- (Optional) Show Answers: Checking this box will display the correct answers below
Step 3: Verify that the auto-score correctly calculates the point value (in this example, 1/1)
Commonly used features listed below. For a complete guide to More options, Click here.
Alternate answers (and Match all possible responses): If alternate answers are acceptable (like synonyms, alternative spelling, or abbreviations), click the + button. Each set of alternates can be valued at different point levels (but Correct must be the highest point value). If all Alternates are equivalent, check Match all possible responses and the Correct answer or any Alternate will be awarded full credit.
Unscored/Practice usage: Removes point value for this question.
Case sensitive: Checking this box will only award credit to answers that exactly match the character capitalization as written in the Correct answer field(s)
Penalty points: Rather than not receiving credit for incorrect answers, an incorrect answer will deduct points instead.
- Exact match (Default): All parts of the answer must be correct to be awarded credit.
- Partial Match Per Response: Each correct answer will be awarded the full credit designated in the Set correct answer(s) field. (In this example with three answers, awarding 1 point per correct answer, adding up to as many as 3 total points).
- Partial Match: Each correct answer will be awarded partial, proportional credit designated by the Set correct answer(s) field. (In this example with three answers, 1/3 point per correct answer, adding up to 1 total point).
Character limit: Can be increased or decreased. Default is 15 characters per answer field.
Multiple line: Increases height of response field to accommodate multiple lines (still restricted to Character limit)
Pointer: Sets direction of response box arrow - None, Top, Right (Default), Bottom, or Left.