The Bookshelf is a great place to upload resources that you can add to lessons or share with students.
Adding the Resource
💡 Tip from the Otus Team
Add resources to the All Resources page first, then share that resource with the class.
- Step 1: Select the + icon, then select Resource.
- Step 2: Choose the type of resource you'd like to add.
- File Upload - choose from the files on your computer.
- Link - using the URL of a website.
- Image - take a live image using your computer's built in camera, or browse your computer for one that has already been taken.
- Video - record a live video using your computer's built in camera (5 minute max), or browse your computer for one that has already been recorded (30mb file size limit).
- YouTube Video - using the URL of a YouTube video.
- Audio - record live audio using your computer's built in microphone (5 minute max), or browse your computer for one that has already been recorded (30mb file size limit).
- Google Drive - Choose from files on your Google Drive (see FAQ section below for more details)
- One Drive - Choose from files on your One Drive
- Page - build a page. For more information, click here.
- Step 3: Choose the class to share it with (optional). If you'd like to only share this with individual students, groups, or teachers instead of a whole class, skip this step.
- Step 4: Select Save.
Sharing the Resource
You can share a resource with an entire class, individual students, groups of students, or another teacher.
- Step 1: Locate the resource on your bookshelf and select the ellipsis to the right
- Step 2: Select Share.
- Step 3: Select who you'd like to share the resource with.
Sharing with Classes/Students/Groups: Select the class(es)/student(s), or group(s) you'd like to share with, then click Done.
Sharing with Teachers:
- Click Email.
- Type in the full email address of the teacher you'd like to share it with.
- Click SEARCH.
- Click Share in the upper right hand corner.
Add Resources to a Folder (optional)
There are two ways to add a resource to a folder.
Option 1: Drag and Drop
- Step 1: Locate the resources on your bookshelf.
- Step 2: Select and hold the resource, while dragging it directly on top of the folder you wish to add it to.
- Step 3: Open the folder by clicking on the folder icon to verify the resource has been added.
Option 2: Select Move
- Step 1: Locate the resources on your bookshelf (if you haven't added it yet, check out this article to see how to add a resource).
- Step 2: Select the ellipsis to the right of the resource, then select Move.
- Step 3: Select the folder(s) you would like to add the resource to.
Bookshelf Resources FAQ
- Can I "unshare" a resource? Yes, just go through the same process you went through to share the resource and uncheck the class/student/group/teacher you want to "unshare" the folder with.
- If I add a resource to a folder I already shared, do I need to re-share the folder? No - the new resource will automatically be added to the recipients copy of the folder as well; there is no need to re-share.
- Can the recipients of a shared resource use it in lessons? Because the shared resources aren't owned by the recipient, they won't be able to add them to lessons. You can open the resources individually and add them to your bookshelf, allowing you to utilize them in lessons if you need!
- If I want to share an individual resource that is in a folder, do I have to share the folder as well? Yes - if a resources is in a folder, the folder must also be shared in order to share the individual resource.
- Can I organize the resources in the Shared With Me section into folders? Since those resources are owned by others, you won't be able to organize them.
- What are the rules with adding resources from your Google Drive? 1) You can only upload one file at a time from your Google Drive. 2) You can only upload resources that are owned by you; you can't upload files that have been shared with you. 3) You can't add resources from a shared drive, however, see the tip below for a way to address this!
💡 Tip from the Otus Team
Use these steps to create a "shortcut" that will move a file from a Shared Drive into your own Google Drive:
- On your computer, go to drive.google.com and go to the Shared Drive that you are looking to access.
- Right-click the file or folder you want to make a shortcut for.
- Click Add shortcut to Drive.
- Choose where you want the shortcut to be.
- Click Add shortcut.