This article is written as an information guide for teachers. To see the article written for students on how to use the TextHelp Speechstream toolbar, click the button below.
We partner with Texthelp to bring the SpeechStream cloud based, language and literacy support toolbar to Otus Advanced Assessments. Features include:
- Text-to-speech read aloud
- Talking single word translator
- Talking dictionary
- Picture dictionary
How to Activate the Toolbar
Teachers must toggle the Allow Texthelp button ON when assigning their Advanced Assessment. Teachers can view the Texthelp button when they assign the Advanced Assessment or edit the assigned assessment settings in their account.
Students will see the Texthelp toolbar in the upper-right cornerwhen they start the Advanced Assessment. They can move the toolbar to any location on the screen by using the move icon.
➡️ Read Aloud Feature (Text-to-Speech)
There are optional settings for the read aloud feature.
- Voice Speed: The text can be read to the student slow, medium, or fast.
- Text Highlight: As the text is spoken, it will be highlighted. The student can choose which color the text is highlighted in.
- Speech Mode: The student can choose to have the text spoken upon click or hover.
- Translations: The student can change both of these options to any of these languages: English, French, German, Portuguese, and Spanish.
- To use, the student will select the pointer icon, select a word, and the program will begin reading aloud from the beginning of the sentence. The student can stop or pause the reading at any time. To turn off the read aloud, the student will select the pointer icon again.
➡️ Talking Single Word Translator
- This function allows for the student to see a translation of a single word.
- To use, the student will select a word, select the globe icon, and then select the play button next to each word to hear it read aloud.
➡️ Talking Dictionary
- This function allows for the student to see a definition of a single word, as well as have the definition read aloud to them.
- To use, the student will select a word, select the book icon, and then select the play button next to each definition to hear it read aloud.
➡️ Picture Dictionary
- This function gives the definition of a word in the form of a picture.
- To use, the student will select a word and then select the picture icon.
- Students can highlight portions of their assessment.
- To use, students will select any number of words by clicking and dragging the cursor, select the highlighter icon, then select the color highlighter they wish to use.
- Students can remove any of their highlights by selecting the text again, then selecting the paintbrush icon.
- Students can also see all of their highlights together by selecting the collect icon.