One of the optional settings available for assigning an advanced assessment is to give students the tools for annotating including a notepad, sticky notes, highlight tool, and drawing tool. When this setting is used, the students will have a mini-menu to choose from while taking an advanced assessment.
The notepad allows the students to take running notes as they complete the assessment.
- Notes taken on the notepad will travel from question to question. Think of it like an actual notebook - as the student takes the assessment, the notes taken while on any question will remain on the notepad as they move through the assessment.
- The notepad can be moved around the screen.
- Closing out the notepad will not delete the notes - the student will just need to click on the notepad option again from the mini-menu, and the notes will reappear.
Adding a sticky note to a question allows students to attach notes to just a single question, rather than keeping it on the notepad (which takes it from question to question).
- Notes left on a sticky note will be available only for the question the note is left on; it will not travel from question to question.
- The sticky note can't be moved around the screen, but it can be hidden by selecting Hide sticky notes from the mini-menu.
- A deleted sticky note is unable to be recovered - a warning message will appear prior to deleting the sticky note.
Drawing mode allows the student to make free-hand drawings anywhere on the item.
- Students can choose from four colors of the pen. They can also erase.
- Selecting Hide drawings from the mini-menu will hide the drawings from view, but will not erase them.
Students can highlight text.
- When a student uses their mouse to "click and drag" over a selection of text, the Highlight function will appear just above their selection.
- They will have four colors to choose from.
- The highlights will remain on the question as the student navigates the assessment (it will not erase when the student moves from question to question).
- Will I be able to see the student's notes/drawings when they submit their assessment? No - student annotations are just for student use as they take they assessment. They are not submitted along with the assessment.
- Do the notes/drawings save if the student exits the assessment? No - student annotations do not save when the assessment is exited (even if the assessment is saved). Annotations will re-set if the student exits and re-enters the assessment.
- Can I turn this setting on/off after the assessment has already been assigned? Yes - this setting can be adjusted after the assessment has already been assigned.
- Can I enable just one of the features (for example, just the notepad)? No - student annotations are a package - each of the features will be available if annotations are allowed.
- If Allow Post Grading Review is enabled, will the student be able to see their annotations when they view their graded assessment? No - annotations are not saved upon submitting the assessment.
- Do these features work if students are taking the assessment on an iPad? Yes - all of the features work the same way if used on an iPad.