The Match List question type requires students to pair associated items, using one static list and one dynamic list.
Create a Question
Enter a question stem in the Compose Question area. Below you will see the Stimulus List. The text entered here will appear as a static list, which the student will match responses to. Enter stems into empty fields. Click +Add to create a new empty field, and click the trash can icon beside a stem to remove it.
In the Possible Responses section, the text entered will appear as a list of possible responses that the student can select an answer from. See example in Figure 2.
Follow these steps in order to configure question validation:
- Insert a value in the Point(s) box to set up a mark for the question. Default value is 1.
- The Correct tab holds a list of stems and possible responses. To validate the question match each stems with their correct responses by dragging and dropping them in the empty response boxes beside each stem. See example in Figure 3.
Group Possible Responses
This feature allows the grouping of possible responses. To use this feature simply switch the toggle to ‘yes’ which appears under the compose question area.
Once this has been switched on you will notice a blue + add group button appear under the stimulus list. Once you click this button you add the title of the group and then begin adding the possible responses that belong in that group. You can then add a second group and add possible responses to that and so on. Once you have all the fields filled in, your question will look like this.
Scoring type menu can be found under More Options.
The following scoring types are available in Match List questions:
- Exact Match - Student must answer all parts of the question correct to receive a mark.
- Partial Match Per Response - Each response box will be awarded an individual score.
- Partial Match - Each response box will be scored individually and the overall question score will be divided between responses.
Enable Duplicate Responses option if you want the responses to be used infinite times. This means a response when dragged into a cell will not disappear from the possible responses container and is reusable. The option can be found below Validation.
You can also toggle Drag Handles. They appear on the left of responses and can be disabled.
From the Possibility List Position drop down menu you can choose where to position the possible responses container. Options include: Top, Bottom, Left and Right.
Want information on other question types? Click the button below!