Now that you've started to build an advanced assessment, you may want to add a Cloze with text question.
➡️ Need help getting started with Advanced Assessment first? Click here
In Cloze with text, the student types short answers into fields within a passage of text.
Build the Question
After you choose to create your own item, select the Fill in the blanks (Cloze) category from the options on the left, then select Cloze with text.
Step 1: Compose Question
- Compose question: Type question prompt into this field.
- You have many formatting options from the Rich Text toolbar, including changing the font size, adding tables, using math symbols, adding multimedia, and more! Click here for more information on the different functions of the Rich Text toolbar.
Step 2: Add Answer Content
- Template markup: In this field, type or paste the passage into which the response fields will be inserted.
- To enter the responses in the correct positions, there are two approaches:
Option 1: Type the passage around the existing Response fields in the template.
Option 2: Type or paste the passage into the field, and use the Insert Response button in the Rich Text toolbar at the appropriate positions in the text.
Set Correct Answers and Scoring
- Point value: Enter the full point value for getting this answer correct (see More options section below)
- Response fields: Type correct answers into fields. By default, answers will need to be exact (but are not case-sensitive, and will ignore blank spaces before or after responses) to be auto-graded properly. Misspelled or alternate words will not be awarded credit (see More options section below).
- (Optional) Alternate answers: click the Add ( + ) button to add alternate answers
- (Optional) Match all possible responses: used in conjunction with Alternate answers (see More options section below).
It's highly recommended to Preview the question before adding it to the assessment. This displays the question as the students will see it and also verifies that the answers and scoring work as expected.
Step 1: Select the Preview button to go into Preview mode
Step 2: Type the correct answers into the fields, including alternates.
- (Optional) Show Answers: Checking this box will display the correct answers below.
Step 3: Verify that the auto-score correctly calculates the point value (in this example, 1/1)
➡️ Want to preview the entire assessment? Click here for details.
Alternate answers (and Match all possible responses): If alternate answers are acceptable (like synonyms, alternative spelling, or abbreviations), click the + button. Each set of alternates can be valued at different point levels (but Correct must be the highest point value). If all Alternates are equivalent, check Match all possible responses and the Correct answer or any Alternate will be awarded full credit.
Unscored/Practice usage: Removes the point value for this question.
Case sensitive: Checking this box will only award credit to answers that exactly match the character capitalization as written in the Correct answer field(s)
Penalty points: Rather than not receiving credit for incorrect answers, an incorrect answer will instead deduct points.
- Exact match (Default): All parts of the answer must be correct to be awarded credit.
- Partial Match Per Response: Each correct answer will be awarded the full credit designated in the Set correct answer(s) field. (In this example with three answers, awarding 1 point per correct answer, adding up to as many as 3 total points).
- Partial Match: Each correct answer will be awarded partial, proportional credit designated by the Set correct answer(s) field. (In this example with three answers, 1/3 point per correct answer, adding up to 1 total point).
Character limit: Can be increased or decreased. The default is 15 characters per answer field.
The Advanced Assessment builder is created by Learnosity. For more information about this question type, review these resources:
Copyright © Learnosity Ltd. 2006-2020