Standards can be linked to each item on Advanced Assessments. Linking standards is optional (you do not have to link standards in order to assign the assessment), however, the only way to see the results of the assessment in the standards gradebook is to link standards.
First, you'll need to access the draft assessment:
- While in the Drafts section of your Assessments module, locate the assessment. Select the assessment to be taken to the assessment builder.
❗ Changes to standards on a draft Advanced Assessment will not update any assigned versions of that assessment or the standards gradebook. Unassigning and reassigning the assessment is necessary for the standards to updated, however, keep in mind that unassign an assessment will remove any submitted student data, and the students will be starting fresh.
Link a Standard
While in your Advanced Assessment, select the item you wish to add standards to, then select Edit.
- Step 1: Select the Link to Standards button.
- Step 2: Choose a standards folder.
- Step 3: Once you've located the desired standard(s), check the box next to it (you can add more than one at a time).
- Step 4: Select Link Standards at the bottom right hand corner.
❗ Please note that you are not able to attach different standards to individual questions. The standard(s) you attach to the item will apply to ALL questions in the item. If you have questions that don't relate to the same standard(s), you will want to put them in different items.
- Step 5: Select the Save button.
💡 Tip from the Otus Team: To view the standards that are linked to each item, select the View Linked Standards button next to the item on the assessment, OR find the item in your item list and see the standards listed to the far-right side.
Edit or Remove a Standard
If you need to edit/replace a standard, you will essentially remove the old standard, then add the new standard.
- Step 1: To remove the old standard, select the View Linked Standards button next to the item.
- Step 2: Hover over the standard you wish to remove and select the trash can icon. Select Yes to confirm you'd like to remove this standard.
➡️ If you wish to simply remove a standard and not replace it with another, you can stop here. Continue to Step 2 if you'd like to replace the standard.
- Step 2: To add the new standard, follow the same steps as listed above in the Link a Standard section.
- What if I've already assigned or graded the assessment? If I change a standard, does that update the gradebook? No. changes to standards on a draft Advanced Assessment will not update any assigned version of that assessment or the standards gradebook. Unassigning and reassigning the assessment is necessary for the standards to updated, however, keep in mind that unassign an assessment will remove any submitted student data, and the students will be starting fresh.
- I tried to make changes to the standards, but the Save button won't activate. What do I do? Try editing the title of the item in any way (even just adding a space at the end). Sometimes, just editing the standards alone doesn't trigger the Save button.