Do you have an assessment you want to direct students to while they are in a lesson? You've come to the right place!
Before we show you the process, let's see what this will look like for the student:
This is further outlined in the Student Completion section below.
Adding an Assessment as an Activity
Step 1: After you've created the lesson, add an Activity and select Add Assessment.
Step 2: A popup for Assessment Details will appear - this is where you will choose which assessment to link to the lesson. All of your draft assessments will be available in this list. You can choose an assessment from your own folders, or an assessment that has been shared with you. Select the assessment you'd like to add.
➡️ Helpful information:
- When you choose an assessment here, you are not assigning that assessment. This is also true for when you assign the lesson. Assigning the lesson does not automatically assign the assessment. The act of assigning the assessment will need to be done separately.
- When should you assign the assessment? There isn't necessarily a rule for when to assign the assessment, but one option would be to assign the assessment immediately after you've created the lesson, setting a start date for that assessment so that it is not assigned until you need it to be. The other option is to assign it the same day as you assign the lesson.
- What happens if the student starts that lesson before the assessment is assigned? When the student clicks on the lesson activity that links to the assessment, they are taken to their assessments module. If the assessment hasn't been assigned, their list will be empty; there will not be an assessment to click on.
- What happens if you change the name of the assessment after linking it in a lesson? In this case, you will want to make sure you go back to that activity in the lesson and edit the title of the assessment to match the new title.
Step 3: After selecting the assessment, give any instructions needed (character limit of 1000), upload an image (optional), then click Save.
❗ Important Note - the Assessment Name will be pre-filled with the name of the assessment you selected in Step 2. We recommend not changing this name - the best way to make sure the student sees the intended assessment is if this matches the exact name of the assessment.
- Student Step 1: While in the lesson, they will click on the activity tile for the assessment.
- Student Step 2: They will click the "Go to Assessment" button on the tile.
- Student Step 3: The student will be taken to their assessments module, where they will see only that assessment; they will then click on it to begin, just like they would any other assessment.
➡️ Helpful information:
- When a student completes an assessment that was linked in a lesson, that lesson activity is not automatically marked complete. The student must mark the activity as "completed", just as they would for any other lesson activity.
- The progress view in the lesson will display the date and time the lesson activity was completed, and the status of the lesson activity. These indicators are not directly related to the assessment itself. For example, in the image below, this student marked this activity complete on 2/8/2021 at 1:01 pm, that does not mean they submitted the assessment at that time. The progress here relates only to the completion status of the activity in the lesson.
For more information on viewing lesson progress, check out the link in the Next Steps section below ⬇️ .