The Blog allows teachers to have informal and conversational-style communication. It can be used for both whole-class communication and private communication.
Creating a Post
- Many different file types can be added to posts; links, PDFs, videos, images, audio clips, or Google Drive documents.
- The ability to comment can be controlled by the teacher.
- Posts can be published immediately, saved as a draft, or scheduled to post at a specific time.
The Class Feed
- All posts made by the teacher and students can be viewed here.
- The teacher has the ability to turn commenting on/off for the entire class feed (rather than just an individual post).
- Teachers can delete posts made by students, as well as add posts to a student's portfolio.
Student Interaction with the Blog
- Students can create their own posts and comment on other's posts (as long as the commenting ability has been left on by the teacher).
- Students can delete their own posts and comments made on other posts.
- Students can "lock" a post - meaning it will only be visible to the teacher, rather than the entire class.
The Otus Blog tool can be used by students to privately message teachers and by teachers to respond to and privately message students.
A video showing this process is below: