The Audio question type allows authors to implement audio recorders into a question. The embedded audio recorder can record, save and playback a students response. It is especially useful for language assessment. Audio questions are not auto scored.
Figure 1 - Audio question type example.
Create a Question
Enter a question stem in the Compose Question area. Select question style from the Layoutmenu below. Then set audio Maximum Length. This parameter sets the number of seconds of audio allowed to be recorded by the student.
The Audio question type has a number of settings that allow you to control and configure audio recording and playing. Under More Options you will see the following toggles that will help you customize the question to your needs:
- Silence stop duration - This specifies the duration of audio silence in seconds after the recording has stopped. This value is set to 0 by default, which means the silence detection is turned off. Insert a value in seconds in this field if you want to enable the option.
- Overwrite Warning - When enabled this will give students a warning that their previous recording will be replaced if they re record.
- Recording Cue - When enabled a beep is played before recording starts.
There is also a number of UI options that can be configured:
- Start Recording - Record button will be enabled. This is enabled by default.
- Pause Recording - Allows the user to pause when recording audio. Enabled in default setting.
- Stop Recording - Stop button will be enabled. This is enabled by default.
- Record Bubble - A bubble will appear to show the user recording details. Enabled in default setting. This option is available in Button UI only.
- Play - Allows the user to playback the recording. This is enabled in default setting.
- Pause - Pause button allows the user to pause the recording when playing it back. This option is enabled in default setting.
- Seek - The user can change the play position on playback by clicking on the Progress Bar. The Play button and Progress Bar must be enabled. The option is enabled in default setting.
- Play Bubble - A play bubble will be displayed to the user. Play button must be enabled. This option is available in Button UI only.
- Look and Feel:
- Timer - Time will be displayed to show the user how long the recording is. Enabled in default setting.
- Progress Bar - Progress bar is a visual indicator to show the student how much time they have to record. In Playback state it will show how long is left.
- Volume Control - Volume control will be displayed to the user on playback if the play button is enabled. This is enabled by default.
- Volume Meter - Volume meter will be displayed to the user on playback if the play button is enabled. This is enabled by default.
- Waveform - A wave UI will be displayed to the user when playing back the recording if the play button is enabled. Enabled in default setting.
- Responsive Layout - Enable this option to scale the audio recorder size responsively based on the size of its container. It is useful when the question is viewed on smaller screens.
- Download Link - A link to download the student's recorded audio file will appear in review state.